Word 2007 double spacing - how to have normal spacing

The biggest thing that has bugged me about Office 2007 was that with Word when you type and press entre you end up with a double line space between the paragraphs. I've hunted up and down how to change this behaviour but just couldn't find it.

On a seperate not I have a HTML editing control from writing these blog posts. This has the same behaviour because it puts <P> in rather than just <BR>. I learnt recently that to get a line feed in the HTML control I just have to use SHIFT+ENTER. that worked wonders.

Today I got annoyed again at Word and the light bulb went on in my head. You're probably there already. Yes in Word to get a normal space after a paragraph you need to use SHIFT + ENTER.

Simple heh! Still slightly annoying. If someone knows how to make it behave like before it would still be appreciated.

Published 15 February 2007 23:35 by simonsabin
Filed under: ,

Comments

22 February 2007 21:54 by NoOneSpecial

# re: Word 2007 double spacing - how to have normal spacing

Since your sister site with this same post is the first link that comes up when you put the following in Google:

word 2007 "double spacing"

I'll answer the question for you.

1.  Highlight the text

2.  In Home/Styles menu, select the "No spacing" option.

That default double spacing will be changed to single-spacing.

Now hopefully, people will have the answer they're looking for while getting inundated with all this goddamn blog spam.

23 February 2007 00:37 by simonsabin

# re: Word 2007 double spacing - how to have normal spacing

Hello NoOneSpecial,

That doesn't address the behaviour you just give a remedy of the symptom. You have to make the change every time. It doesn't change the behaviour.

If you did want to provide an answer then you should have said, change the normal template to use single spacing.

08 December 2007 19:22 by EKurnia

# re: Word 2007 double spacing - how to have normal spacing

another alternative that does it for me is by selecting Home > Change Style, then choose the style set Word 2003.

20 December 2007 13:28 by dj

# re: Word 2007 double spacing - how to have normal spacing

Just choose the second style before typing.

25 January 2008 15:28 by tead

# re: Word 2007 double spacing - how to have normal spacing

Thanks so much dj this really helped me a lot

03 March 2008 03:07 by shane

# re: Word 2007 double spacing - how to have normal spacing

This must be the most frustrating thing I have ever encountered while trying to do some work right after installing new software!

10 March 2008 17:50 by Loren

# re: Word 2007 double spacing - how to have normal spacing

I figured out a complicated method of fixing this...but it appears to work.

1. First, open the styles window (Alt-Ctrl-Shift-S)

2. Click 3rd icon on the bottom (Manage styles)

3. Click the Modify... button halfway down the window.

4. Open Format submenu in bottom left corner and select Paragraph.

5. Change 'Spacing' After from 10 pt to 0 pt.  Leave other things as they are.

6. Click Okay, and then in the window still open, select the 'New Documents based on this template' option...then click OK

7. And then in the window still open, select the 'New Documents based on this template' option...then click OK.

Some of these steps may be redundant, but it worked for me.

02 September 2009 17:51 by Simon Sabin UK SQL Consultant's Blog

# Writing blog posts

02 September 2009 18:38 by SimonS Blog on SQL Server Stuff

# Writing blog posts

Steve Jones has been talking about how and when to blog. I started off by using my blog as a notebook