SQL 2005 install hangs on "Setting File Security"

When doing an install of SQL 2005 you may encounter the install hanging on the "setting file security" stage.

This is due to th install trying to do some security resolution with domain controllers.

The easiest answer is to unplug the network cable (or disable the network interface), however if you are doing a remote install that may not be possible.

This KB discusses the issue http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910070/en-us and does provide hotfix which can be applied to the install so you don't encounter the problem.

Published Friday, June 1, 2007 4:55 PM by simonsabin

Comments

Saturday, June 30, 2007 12:23 AM by simonsabin

# re: SQL 2005 install hangs on "Setting File Security"

Via a email

I have experienced this hang on the installation at the part where "Setting File Security". The thing that really concerns me is that for weeks (more like a month or two) I have been doing rapid uninstalls and re-installs with no hang whatsoever, then starting yesterday not only myself but everyone that was doing this had the problem. We are doing uninstalls an installs unattended and silent, the way we found this was by doing a non silent manual install. So my question is what exactly is that part of the code doing? I asked our IT folk if anything had changed in our network, and they said no, of course nine times out of ten that is not a correct answer, but before investigating further I need to know what to look for. Can you think of anything that could have changed either on the machines themselves (from an update) or on the network (so tweaking).

-Steve

Saturday, June 30, 2007 12:26 AM by simonsabin

# re: SQL 2005 install hangs on "Setting File Security"

My understanding is that the process that hangs is trying to enumerate groups.

If your domain is trusted by another that is trusted by another, the process is trying to navigate all the domains to get the permissions.

In our situation wew have a parent domain that has lots of child domains and lots of trusted NT domains.

I would guess that a trust has been put in place to a domain that maybe has a slow network connection or increase the about of information to process, thus causing the problem.

Simon

Friday, August 24, 2007 7:21 PM by SimonWadsworth

# re: SQL 2005 install hangs on "Setting File Security"

Hey Simon!

Thanks for this; I was stumped as to why my install was hanging today; should have known you'd have the answer!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:12 PM by Fedor

# re: SQL 2005 install hangs on "Setting File Security"

Thanks! just removing the network cable solved the problem. I'm happy :-)

Fedor

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:33 PM by Damien

# re: SQL 2005 install hangs on "Setting File Security"

Well done , many thanks solve the problem

# ???????????????????? ?????????????? ?????????????????????? ?????? ?????????????????? ?? ?????????????????? Microsoft SQL Server 2005 ???? Windows Server 2008 « ???? ???????? ?????????????? ??????????????????

Pingback from  ???????????????????? ?????????????? ?????????????????????? ?????? ?????????????????? ?? ?????????????????? Microsoft SQL Server 2005 ???? Windows Server 2008 « ???? ???????? ?????????????? ??????????????????