SQL Server 2000 to 2005 to 2008 Upgrade Technical Reference Guide
What is the most required task when a DBA required to perform upgrade from previous versions?
- Complete understanding of the databases that are required to upgrade.
- Technical reference of upgrade path from previous version to the current one.
- Testing of all aspects of that upgrade tasks.
- Documented information of upgrade path and processes.
2 of the above tasks are totally dependant on individual preferences such as understanding and documentation about their platform and procedures. It is obvious that everyone will be looking for a documented procedure in terms of how to perform the upgrade of SQL Server platform. In the previous cases such as Upgrade from SQL Server 7 to 2000 and 2000 to 2005 there were limited resources available on web and from Microsoft too.
In this case of Upgrading from SQL Server 2005 to 2008 I’m happy to see a 490-page document that covers the essential phases and steps to upgrade existing instances of SQL Server 2000 and 2005 to SQL Server 2008 by using best practices. These include preparation tasks, upgrade tasks, and post-upgrade tasks. Not only this is intended to be add-on supplement for the SQL Server 2008 books online, which is an additional reference in any case whent such reference is required.
Most of it amuses me is the detailed explanation on the topics within that document, see what is referred on that download link:
- Chapter 1 gives an overview of the technical issues and decisions that are involved in an upgrade to SQL Server 2008, as well as recommendations for planning and deploying an upgrade.
- Chapter 2 addresses issues related to upgrading to SQL Server 2008 Management Tools.
- Chapters 3 through 8 focus on upgrade issues for SQL Server relational databases.
- Chapter 9 addresses upgrading to SQL Server 2008 Express.
- Chapters 10 through 14 focus on upgrading to SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence components: Analysis Services, Data Mining, Integration Services, and Reporting Services.
- Chapter 15 addresses the implications of upgrading to SQL Server 2008 for other Microsoft applications and platforms.
- Appendix 1 contains a table of allowed SQL Server 2008 version and edition upgrade paths.
- Appendix 2 contains an upgrade planning checklist.
Good luck and don’t forget to refer each and every aspect of upgrade path and test them before you take it on the production environment.