Ok, so I went to replace two of my servers down at the colocation facility in Docklands with a DELL poweredge 2900.
Should have been simple - the box was all configured and working, just a case of swapping in and changing IP addresses.
Well, that was the plan.
Got there - box wouldn't fit horizontal so I had to move shelving around to fit vertically - fair enough - did that.
All connected up - couldn't connect to the router, I spent about an hour and a half trying to get the dam thing working, resetting router to factory settings etc.. All the lights where on but nobody was home so to speak.
Anyway - I always keep a spare one of everything but only I hadn't brought it; I had to drive all the way back to Harpenden (1hr there, 1hr back) to pick the dam thing up - anyway; needless to say that was the problem.
I'll let things settle for a couple of weeks and then will upgrade the CS version to the latest. At least I'm running the user group on SQL 2008 now anyway :), an interesting find though - I have 4.3 million posts in my database from the forums and in SQL 2000 (just migrated from) I have a fulltext catalog on top- well its all stored in the db now, the catalogue is 525MBytes - I'm using SQL 2008 Express, got about a 1.3GB left so I guess I'm going to have to start splitting it out soon.
Hope you find the site a bit quicker - its amazingly fast here; I also up'd the RAM in the server running them to 4GB.
Lesson learn't: keep a spare "onsite" rather than at the office!