Total SQL Recall - A Recent Queries (SQL Execution History) SSMS Add-in

Total SQL Recall in actionTotal SQL Recall is an add-in that stores and displays your recently executed SQL, fully integrated with SSMS. It provides the same SQL recall functionality in SQL Server Management Studio that TOAD users have had for years. SQL fragments can be inserted into the current query editor, opened in a new window, or dragged / copied to another environment.

The add-in is displayed as a standard SSMS tool window, so can be docked, auto-hidden or floated as required. The window lists the recent queries, together with their date of execution. The size of the rows and columns can be modified, and if a query doesn't fit then a tooltip will display more details. A filter lets you search your stored SQL queries.

Options are available to start/stop query-storing (useful if you're running some huge scripts and don't want to store them), configure the number of queries stored and adjust how they appear. More advanced options can control the maximum length of query stored and the maximum size of tooltip displayed.

The simplest way to recover a piece of SQL is to double-click on it or drag it into the current query editor. The context menu offers more options including opening in a new window and copying to the clipboard. The context menu also provides access to the options screen and the start/stop feature.

Total SQL Recall can be launched from the View menu - it will be the last item on the menu. The shortcut is Alt-V,O. If SSMS is running when you install Total SQL Recall then you'll have to restart it.

There are four install packages, depending on your O/S & version of SSMS:

It's vaguely possible that there might be a second version of the add-in with a second tab for permanently stored queries. If there are any other features you'd find useful then let me know.

Many thanks to Sean Price for pointing me in the right direction after my initial post on SSMS Add-ins.

Published 14 January 2008 03:30 PM by jonsayce

Comments

# Pages tagged "history" said on 14 January, 2008 06:05 PM

PingBack from http://www.blogbookmarker.com/tags/history

# Mladen said on 14 January, 2008 07:03 PM

Hi,

i've installed the x86 version for 2k5 and i've started the ssms but i don't see it anywhere nor does it save anything. I also have redgate's sql prompt, refactor and my ssms Tools Pack addins installed. does it clash with then in any way?

# jonsayce said on 14 January, 2008 09:33 PM

Hi Mladen,

I've had SQL Prompt and Refactor installed during development and my add-in seems to work fine with them. I've also just installed SSMS Tools Pack as well, and everything is still OK.

If it hasn't showed up as the last item on your View menu then I'd be interested to know what's going on - I'll email you a file to switch logging on.

Jon.

# moff said on 05 February, 2008 03:34 PM

great add-in!

works fine for me but a colleague gets an error

"The Add-in 'SauceCode Total SQL Recall' failed to load or caused an exception. Would you like to remove this Add-in?

If you choose yes, you will need to reinstall the Add-in to use it again.

Error Message: Class not registered

Error number: 80040154"

trying to register the dll manually generates an error. 'not entry point'.

# jonsayce said on 05 February, 2008 04:05 PM

Hi moff,

Glad you're finding it useful.

If you contact me through the page shown below then I can email you a file to turn on tracing for your colleague, which may help pinpoint the problem.

Your colleague isn't using SQL Server Express is he? I haven't tested it, but I don't think it works with that.

# http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/jonsayce/archive/2008/01/14/Total-SQL-Recall.aspx said on 26 March, 2008 08:55 AM

Pingback from  sqlblogcasts.com/.../Total-SQL-Recall.aspx

# Total SQL Recall : Cool Add-in for SQL SERVER 2005 SSMS « Let’s Learn said on 14 July, 2008 02:38 PM

Pingback from  Total SQL Recall : Cool Add-in for SQL SERVER 2005 SSMS « Let’s Learn

# Building a SQL Server Management Studio Add-in | Javier Matilla said on 28 August, 2009 06:04 PM

Pingback from  Building a SQL Server Management Studio Add-in | Javier Matilla