Custom SSMS Reports in SP2 - Enterprise Manager Taskpad View

This is probably one of the most requested reports for Management Studio, a simple overview of the total size and used space for your database files like that available in Enterprise Manager for SQL 2000 via the Taskpad view. Whilst Management Studio does have a Disk Usage report at the database level, this is not without its issues (most of which are fixed in SP2 BTW where this report has been broken down into a number of smaller reports to avoid the overhead it used to have in prior releases) and most importantly doesn't really give you a clear overview IMHO like Taskpad used to in Enterprise Manager. Attached to this post is the EM Taskpad.rdl custom report which replicates the Taskpad view for Enterprise Manager. Install instructions are the same as in the previous post except that this report is aimed at the database object type on Object Explorer. Enjoy! You can see a screenshot of the report here

Update: I've updated the report definition in the post attachment. Thanks to Steve Kass for pointing out a slight issue with the query used to display the database properties. If a database was owned by a windows user which had server access via a group the join between sys.databases.owner_sid and sys.server_principals.sid would not produce any rows so the top section of the report would be blank. This has been changed to use suser_sname(owner_sid) which should work regardless.

Attachment: EM TaskPad.zip
Published 28 November 2006 23:30 by sqldbatips
Filed under:

Comments

22 November 2006 22:24 by sqldbatips.com blog

# SSMS Custom Reports Backwards Compatibility (or lack thereof)

Currently with regard to custom reports in SSMS there is no support for SQL 2000 instances (or even databases

23 November 2006 00:49 by SimonS SQL Server Stuff

# Taskpad view in SQL2005

Do you want the taskpad view in Management Studio then you need to download Jaspers custom report which

23 November 2006 00:49 by SimonS' SQL Server Stuff

# Taskpad view in SQL2005

23 November 2006 00:52 by SimonS SQL Server Stuff

# Role based Permissions view in Managent Studio

Do you want the permission view that is avialble in Enterprise Manager for roles well you need to download

23 November 2006 00:52 by SimonS' SQL Server Stuff

# Role based Permissions view in Managent Studio

23 November 2006 21:31 by SimonS SQL Server Stuff

# Taskpad view version2

This is a pure plagurism of Jaspers taskpad report . I have reformated the report to look like the taskpad

23 November 2006 21:31 by SimonS' SQL Server Stuff

# Taskpad view version2

This is a pure plagurism of Jaspers taskpad report. I have reformated the report to look like the taskpad...

04 December 2009 11:46 by alzdba

# re: Custom SSMS Reports in SP2 - Enterprise Manager Taskpad View

I wanted to upgrade your marvelous report in BIDS2008. It converts it ok, but when I run it in BIDS2008 it gives me no results. How do I get an overview of SSMS(2008) available parameters and how should I modify the rdl to use them ?

04 December 2009 11:46 by alzdba